8.04.2010

Teenage Plagues: Entitlement and Ignorance

I am slowly losing faith in the human race. Actually, not really: let me clarify. I am losing faith in the ever-present teenage population of the human race. Now, I realize that I am technically part of the group in which I am losing faith. That would be a logical fallacy, so I must clarify again. I am losing faith in the majority of the teenage popu... Never mind. Basically, there is a certain viewpoint that it becoming more and more prevalent in teenagers that I can't stand.

I do not speak of teenage delinquency, nor of teenage selfishness, nor of teenage impatience. I speak of the fact that teenagers are, over time, gaining an increased sense of entitlement. A sense that everything should be easy. And, if it isn't, it should be made to be that way.

Please not, I do not speak of all teenagers. I do not even necessarily mean the majority. I am simply saying that it is becoming more prevalent over time, and that I have too many examples in my life. I will give some case files. I will not give out any names (I mean, really? That would just be cruel.), but I will describe the situation will keeping the subject as anonymous as possible. If you read this, and recognize yourself, good for you! Maybe you can alter your ways.

1: John
Now, John is, overall, a nice kid. He has a lot of friends, he treats other people well (an underestimated relation), he's just awesome overall. Except for when he meets someone that is outside his idea of acceptability. This is also contributed to by the fact that he is very strongly religious (by which I mean that he can take it too far), he's one the top side of the middle class (up near the upper top area), and he's very good looking. Coincidentally enough, he's also a bit of a perfectionist. This is the main root of his problem.

Perfect is the way John wants things, and he believes he's entitled to having things that way. No, he's not really that cruel. It's more of a subconscious thing. He deals well when things are like him (which seems to be his idea of perfection. But, I'm not entirely surprised. It sucks to be a perfectionist and not meet your own standards. Yes, this knowledge is from personal experience), but when things, particularly people, are not like him, he becomes acerbic, although not publicly. If you're fat, atheist, a jerk, anything unlike him, he doesn't generally like you very much. It's more of a fear, I think, than anything else. He's been treated to a very homogeneous environment all his life.

This is the end of that situation. I will say that, since then, he has improved. That attitude mostly occurred, oh, I'd say two or three years ago. A bit of financial hardship and diversity put him straight.

Okay, I'm a five paragraph essay sort of guy, but, I'm to tired for three body structures, so I'm going to keep the examples to two.

2: Kathy
Kathy is...to wealthy for her own good. The daughter of a public figure, she always has everything provided for her. Always drives a nice car, gets things she wants without being given the responsibility, and has a really nice house...actually...a really nice house. I love her house, it's a beautiful piece of architecture. Anyway, since everything is always given her, she has no clue how to fend for herself. Just a total lack of common sense. Sadly, that's not even the worst part.

Kathy has a very discreet dislike for the...not wealthy. Which includes me (more on this later). We worked together for a long time (much to my disdain). She always seemed nice, but, at the same time, tried to keep herself away from me as much as she could. Although, I must comment that she was either torn about it, or it is subconscious, because it was not entirely consistent. Nonetheless, I refuse to give specific examples on this front, because it then becomes obvious. But, that's the way it is. And, sadly, this one has yet to improve.

3. Michael
Yes, me (even though I said only two examples). I used to be very much like this, although, in an innocent manner. This was when I was younger, much younger. My father, in attempts to give me the best life had to offer, made me a bit spoiled. Never afraid to ask for something, and, almost always, expected to receive.

Around the time I was ten, my family hit a bit a hard financial spot (and have been there since). It was a very difficult transition, for both of us. It took me a bit to realize I couldn't always get everything I wanted, and it hurt him to know that he couldn't provide as I willed. (By the way, my parents divorced during my third year of life, and my father has custody.) However, I have since changed. I have become more financially conscientious, and more giving with my money, more humble, and more understanding of other people hardship. Overall, it's been a good experience for me. Above other things, it made me aware of the plague of which I speak.

Spurt of Randomocity: Honorable Mention (But not in the "runner-up"ish sort of way)

I wish to give thanks to my good friend Ally Skinner. She is one of the few people I know who is not under the effect of the aforementioned effect. On top of everything else, she is always understanding. Whenever I have an issue (and I only use me because I can not speak for others), she's always, not only present to help, but looking to help.

One of the worst effects of the disease this post is about is a lack of understanding. An incapability to realize the difficulties present in others hardships. I wish to give kudos to those in my generation who have not fallen into this, and I hope, for the sake of mankind, that we can stay out.

I believe I am done. Thank you for tuning in, and, if you wish, watch for my next post. Until next time, my friends, up to the bitter end.

No comments:

Post a Comment